TEXAS CITY MANAGEMENT ASSOCIATION BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
FRIDAY, JANUARY 27, 2017
TEXAS MUNICIPAL CENTER, LUTHER JONES ROOM, 1821 RUTHERFORD LANE, AUSTIN
Those in attendance were: TCMA Board members: President Paulette Hartman, Assistant City Manager, North Richland Hills; President-Elect David Harris, City Administrator, Balcones Heights; Vice President Chris Coffman, City Manager, Granbury; TML Board Representative Michael Ross, Assistant City Manager, Granbury; Immediate Past President Julie Couch, Town Manager, Fairview; Region 1 Director, Randy Criswell, City Manager, Canyon; Region 2 Director
Michael Marrero, Deputy City Manager, Odessa; Region 4 Director Paul Stevens, City Manager, Waxahachie; Region 5 Director John Whitson, City Manager, Texarkana; Region 6 Director
Kyle Jung, City Manager, Manvel; Region 7 Director, Jack Harper, Assistant City Manager, Waco; Region 10 Director Joe Vera, Assistant City Manager, McAllen; Director-at-Large
Kenneth Williams, City Manager, Buda; and Assistants’ Organization Representative Jason Garza, Assistant to the Assistant City Manager, Austin
Guests: TCMA Senior Advisors Linda Barton and Bob Livingston
TML Staff: Bennett Sandlin, Rachael Pitts, and Kim Pendergraft
President Paulette Hartman called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. and welcomed the TCMA Board members.
On a motion by Randy Criswell and a second by David Harris, the Board approved the absence of Region 3 Director Keith Selman, City Administrator, Clyde; Region 8 Director Erik Walsh, Deputy City Manager, San Antonio; and Region 9 Director
Randy Wright, City Manager, Portland
REGIONAL DIRECTOR REPORTS
Regional representatives updated the Board concerning regional activities and openings.
Paulette reported on region visits and provided an ICMA update. She also informed the Board that she’ll be taking a trip to Vietnam to participate on an ethics and government panel.
On a motion by David Harris and a second by Paul Stevens, the Board approved funds to assist with travel costs.
On a motion by Michael Marrero and a second by Kenneth Williams, the Board approved the August 12, 2016, TCMA Board meeting minutes as presented.
On a motion by Jack Harper and a second by Julie Couch, the Board approved Life Membership for Karen Daly, Lyle Dresher, Jeff Ellington, A.C. Gonzales, and Jack Hamlett.
RECEIVE REPORTS FROM TCMA COMMITTEES AND TASK FORCES
David Harris, Professional Development Chair, updated the Board about the Committee’s activities. Programs for the William “King” Cole workshops, the City Management Clinic, and Annual Conference have been completed. On a motion by Kyle Jung and a second by Randy Criswell, the Board approved $1,000 to help cover costs of the family and youth event at the TCMA Annual Conference. On a motion by Joe Vera and a second by Randy Criswell, the Board approved to include a resort location in the Annual Conference rotation and that marketing of a resort location should emphasize the purpose of the event. The approved rotation is as follows:
2018: Galveston (contracted)
2019: Fort Worth (contracted)
2020: South Padre Island
2021: Central Texas
2025: Central Texas
2026: South Padre Island (100 year anniversary)
Chris Coffman, Membership Committee Chair, updated the Board about the Committee’s activities.
- On a motion by Kenneth Williams and second by John Whitson, the Board approved to permanently increase five TCMA Annual Conference New Professionals Scholarships to $1,000; add three $1,000 scholarships for TCMA members who have served cities more than five years; and 25 scholarships to the 2017 ICMA Annual Conference for those TCMA members who are not ICMA members.
- On a motion by Randy Criswell and a second by Chris Coffman, the Board approved to discontinue publication of the Membership Directory.
- On a motion by Randy Criswell and a second by Michael Ross, the Board amended the Sponsorship and Endorsement Guidelines to include: TCMA does not partner, promote, or manage scholarships for private organizations.
- The Board requests that the Membership Committee further discuss private sector members serving on TCMA Committees.
- On a motion by Kyle Jung and a second by David Harris, the Board approved
- that <name redacted> be awarded the 2017 Administrator of the Year Award;
- that <name redacted> be awarded the 2017 Lifetime Achievement Award;
- that <name redacted> be awarded the 2017 Mentoring Award; and
- that <name redacted>be awarded the Terrell Blodgett Academician Award.
- On a motion by David Harris and a second by Joe Vera, the Board approved that the recipient of the Terrell Blodgett Academician Award must be a TCMA member for a minimum of one year.
Julie Couch, Nominating Committee Chair, reported that 2017 statewide elections are in process and the Committee will schedule a meeting to review the TCMA Constitution.
Kim reported that the Ethics Committee continues to develop the advanced online course and members of the Committee continue to write monthly articles for the newsletter.
Michael Ross, Advocacy Committee reported that the Committee has not met since the last
Julie Couch, reported that the Emerging Leaders Task Force continues to develop strategies to complete the goals set out by the Board.
SENIOR ADVISOR REPORT
Linda Barton and Bob Livingston continue to contact members, provide assistance, and visit regions with Paulette. Linda encouraged the Board to appoint additional senior advisors.
RECEIVE REPORT ON TML-RELATED ISSUES
Bennett Sandlin provided a legislative report.
RECEIVE REPORT ON ASSISTANTS-RELATED ISSUES
Jason Garza provided an update on statewide activities of the assistants’ organizations.
The financial report was presented. On a motion by Julie Couch and a second by David Harris, the Board approved the 2015-2016 Audit Report.
On a motion by Michael Marrero and a second by Joe Vera, the Board approved the 2016-2018 Strategic Plan.
The Board had consensus not to release the TCMA sponsor list to the City of San Antonio for the 2017 ICMA Annual Conference.
Paulette will further review how private organizations can assist members in-transition. The Board will continue discussion at the next meeting.
On a motion by Michael Marrero and a second by Michael Ross, the Board approved the TCMA-ICMA Affiliation Agreement with the modification that TCMA and ICMA will provide equal complimentary registrations to their respective annual conferences.
Rachael Pitts reported that TML will conduct a salary survey of select city official base salary information. She clarified that it is not detailed data collection like the TCMA Salary Survey.
The next Board meeting is scheduled on April 28 in the City of North Richland Hills.
With no other business, the meeting was adjourned at 12:45 p.m.