TEXAS CITY MANAGEMENT ASSOCIATION BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
FRIDAY, APRIL 25, 2014
EISEMANN CENTER, BANK OF AMERICA HALL, 2351 PERFORMANCE DRIVE, RICHARDSON
Those in attendance were: TCMA Board members: President Dan Johnson, City Manager, Richardson; President-Elect Mike Land, Deputy City Manager, Coppell; TCMA Vice President David Harris; TML Board Representative Michael Ross, City Manager, West University Place; Immediate Past President Bert Lumbreras, Assistant City Manager, Austin; Region 1 Director David Brunson, City Manager, Muleshoe; Region 2 Director Tommy Hudson, Deputy City Manager, Midland; Region 3 Director Bill Funderburk, City Administrator, Hamilton; Region 4 Director Alan Sims, City Manager, Cedar Hill; Region 5 Director Michael Ahrens, City Manager, Mount Pleasant; Region 6 Director Brant Gary, Deputy Assistant Director, Houston; Region 7 Director Brad Stafford, City Manager, Navasota; Region 8 Director Mark Browne, City Manager, Alamo Heights; Region 9 Director Bob Turner, City Manager, Port Lavaca; Region 10 Director Michelle Leftwich, Assistant City Manager, Mercedes; Director-at-Large Paulette Hartman, City Manager, Joshua; and Assistants’ Organizations Representative Cori Romashkina, Fiscal Project Analyst, North Central Texas COG
TML Staff: Kim Pendergraft
Guests: Bennett Sandlin, Executive Director, Texas Municipal League; and ICMA Mountain Plains Vice President Mark McDaniel and City Manager, Tyler President Dan Johnson called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. and welcomed the TCMA Board members and guests.
Regional representatives updated the Board concerning regional activities and openings.
On a motion by Michael and a second by David Harris, the Board approved the January 31, 2014, TCMA Board meeting minutes as presented.
Dan reported that he will continue to visit TCMA Regions over the next few weeks and the Public Executive Institute was a success.
RECEIVE REPORT ON TML-RELATED ACTIVITIES
Bennett provided an update on legislative issues and the Local, Texas campaign.
On a motion by Bert and a second by Tommy, the Board approved Life membership for Glenn Brown, Larry Fields, Claude King, Bob Livingston, Owen Scott, and Ron Whitehead.
On a motion by Brad and a second by David Brunson, the Board approved 29 new memberships
|Michael Adams||City Administrator||Stanton|
|Jon Behrems||Assistant City Manager||Canyon|
|William DiLibero||City Manager||South Padre Island|
|Lillian Farris||Assistant City Manager||Killeen|
|Matthew Fielder||City Manager||Pantego|
|Aldo Gallegos||City Manager||Cactus|
|Bret Haney||Assistant City Administrator||Cockrell Hill|
|Konrad Hildebrandt||Assistant City Manager||Odessa|
|Robert Loftin||City Manager||Crowley|
|Yvonne McCauley||City Administrator||Van|
|Bruce Milstead||City Manager||San Augustine|
|Ruth Osuna||Assistant City Manager||Brownsville|
|Clay Pearson||City Manager||Pearland|
|Oscar Ramirez||City Manager||Donna|
|Erin Rinehart||Assistant City Manager||Carrollton|
|Gloria Saenz||City Manager||Kermit|
|Curtis Schrader||City Administrator||Sundown|
|William Zermeno||City Administrator||Goliad|
|Cassie Holtz||Assistant to the Director of Community Services||Southlake|
|Linda Land||Assistant Administrator||Woodcreek|
|Ashley Mitchell||Administrative Services Director||Carrollton|
|Josh Ramirez||Health Director||McAllen|
|Mark Wood||Director of Economic Development||Flower Mound|
|Jayce Farmer||Assistant Professor||Texas State|
|Carlos Marmolejos||Purchasing Supervisor||Fort Worth|
|James Nuse||Vice President||Affion Public|
|John Peterek||Special Projects Manager||San Antonio|
|Christopher Reddick||Professor, Department Chair||UTSA|
|Nina Shealey||Assistant to the Director||San Antonio|
RECEIVE REPORTS FROM TCMA COMMITTEES
Dan Johnson, TCMA Executive Committee chair, reported that the Executive Board met and recommended to TMRS that Greg Vick, City Manager, City of Watauga to be appointed to the TMRS Advisory Committee. On a motion by Bill and a second by Michelle, the Board recommends Paulette Hartman, City Manager, City of Joshua, as the alternate to the TMRS Advisory Committee. Dan also reported that the Executive Board approved David Harris to complete his term as TCMA Vice President.
Mike Land, TCMA Professional Development Committee chair, updated the Board about the Committee’s activities.
- On a motion by Bert and a second by David Harris, the Board approved the TCMA Sponsorship Policy for the TCMA Reception at the ICMA Annual Conference with the following additions: ICMA Conference Sponsors are not to be solicited; and ICMA will have the opportunity to review and confirm that TCMA Sponsors are not in conflict with ICMA.
- Mike reported that a subcommittee continues to review and collect information on corporate university training offered by cities. Another idea currently under review is incorporating a fund raiser with the golf tournament at the TCMA Annual Conference. Discussed and clarified was the potential of the offices of Region Directors and Region Presidents be held by the same individual to help with Association communication. Since the majority of Regions use a progression of service to serve on the TCMA Board, there was not support for this concept. Recognizing the need for improved communication, Bert suggested that the Board consider appointing the Immediate Past President of TCMA as a coordinator and point of contact for information flow with Region Presidents.
- Mike will host a working lunch orientation for 2014-2015 Region Presidents at the TCMA Annual Conference on June 26.
- Anyone interested is being a coach for emerging leaders at the TCMA Annual Conference Koffee Klatch should let Kim know by May 15.
- On a motion by Tommy and a second by Mark, the Board approved a new rotation for the TCMA Annual Conference to include Central Texas, Galveston, and the Metroplex.
David Harris, TCMA Membership Committee chair, updated the Board about the Committee’s activities.
- On a motion by Bert and a second by Michelle, the Board approved the scholarship recipients as presented. Brad abstained.
- On a motion by Bert and a second by Bob, the Board approved $4,000 for the ICMA Range Rider Program. The Executive Board will develop a working framework for the Range Rider Program by the June Board meeting. A Task Force will be created following the meeting to complete the process.
- On a motion by Bert and a second by Cori, the Board moved that no modifications be made to eligibility requirements for the Tom Muehlenbeck Scholarship. Two Board members opposed.
- On a motion by Paulette and a second by Bob, the Board approved that the Lifetime Achievement Award criteria be 20 years of service.
- On a motion by Bert and a second by Mike, the Board requests that the 2014-2015 Membership Committee develop additional criteria for the Lifetime Achievement Award which can include years of TCMA membership and participation in TCMA.
Bert Lumbreras, Nominating Committee chair, reported the deadline for petitions for the special election for president-elect is April 25. The Committee is scheduled to meet via conference call on April 29 to review the petitions and make a recommendation on the ballot process.
Kim reported that the Ethics Committee has not met since the last Board meeting.
Michael Ross, Advocacy Committee chair, reported that the Committee has not met since the last Board meeting.
UPDATE ON TCMA STRATEGIC PLAN
The Board reviewed the progress of the 2012-2014 Strategic Plan. Bennett will research the service fee for a broader news service. Mike will be sending out a value proposition survey to Region Directors and Region Presidents with the results to be incorporated at the 2014-2016 Strategic Planning Retreat scheduled July 31.
RECEIVE REPORT ON ICMA-RELATED ISSUES
Mark McDaniel provided an update on recent ICMA activities.
RECEIVE REPORT ON ASSISTANTS-RELATED ACTIVIES
Cori Romashkina gave a report on assistant-related activities.
Kim Pendergraft presented the financial report.
- David Harris volunteered to serve on the ICMA 2015 Conference Planning Committee. Dan will notify ICMA.
- On a motion by Mark Browne and a second by Tommy, the Board approved $500.00 to be dispersed to Melissa Valadez-Stephens, Assistant City Manager, Cedar Hill, to attend the ICMA International Regional Summit in Yangzhou, China, May 11-15, 2014. Melissa will be required to conduct training and write an article for the newsletter on her experience.
- The Board unanimously supported that Dan represent TCMA to communicate that TCMA is not in favor that the University of Texas-Arlington consolidate the School of Urban Affairs with the School of Architecture.
With no other business, the meeting was adjourned at 12:15 p.m.