TEXAS CITY MANAGEMENT ASSOCIATION BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
Friday, AUGUST 1, 2014
Vintage Villa, 4209 Eck Lane, Austin
Those in attendance were: TCMA Board members: President Mike Land, Deputy City Manager, Coppell; President-Elect Julie Couch, Town Manager, Fairview; Vice President Karen Daly, City Manager, Hutto; TML Board Representative Michael Ross, City Manager, West University Place; Immediate Past President Dan Johnson, City Manager, Richardson; Region 2 Director Tommy Hudson, Deputy City Manager, Midland; Region 3 Director Bill Funderburk, City Administrator, Hamilton; Region 4 Director Allan Weegar, City Manager, Hurst; Region 5 Director Michael Ahrens, City Manager, Mount Pleasant; Region 6 Director David Moss, City Manager, Southside Place; Region 7 Director Brad Stafford, City Manager, Navasota; Region 8 Director Amy Buckert, City Administrator, Balcones Heights; Region 9 Director Randy Wright, City Manager, Portland; and Director-at-Large Paulette Hartman, City Manager, Joshua; and
TML Staff: Rachael Pitts, Nicole Little
Guests: In-coming TML Board Representative George Shackleford, City Manager, Tomball
President Mike Land called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. and welcomed the TCMA Board members and guests.
On a motion by Dan and a second by Julie, the Board excused the absence of Region 1 Director David Brunson, City Manager, Muleshoe; Region 10 Director Michelle Leftwich, Assistant City Manager, McAllen; and Assistants’ Organizations Representative Laura Cantu, Executive Assistant, San Antonio
The Board continued discussion of the Strategic Planning Meeting held on July 31 by reviewing a summary provided by Amy and confirming Board and Committee assignments.
Regional representatives updated the Board concerning regional activities and openings.
Mike thanked the Board for working on the Strategic Plan and their long term commitment to support the association.
On a motion by Brad and a second by Karen, the Board approved the June 26, 2014, TCMA Board meeting minutes as presented.
On a motion by Karen and a second by Michael, the Board approved 10 new members and Life Membership for Richard Burdine and Greg Ingham.
|Melinda Galler||Assistant City Manager||Lewisville|
|Jack Hamlett||City Manager||Beeville|
|Lisa Hernandez||City Manager||Natalia|
|Kean Register||City Manager||Bryan|
|Mark Rohr||City Manager||League City|
|Brent Stephenson||Director of Finance||Bullard|
|Reena M. Varghese||Strategic Initiatives Director||Sugar Land|
|Perry Been||Regional Manager of Bundled Services||Way Companies|
|Deyanira Flores||Private Individual/Former Member||San Antonio|
RECEIVE REPORTS FROM TCMA COMMITTEES
Mike Land, TCMA Executive Committee chair, reported that the Committee met July 17.
- Bert Lumbreras, Assistant City Manager, Austin has submitted his candidacy for ICMA Mountain Plains Vice President. Dan Johnson will also submit his candidacy to fill the requirement for two candidates.
- Mike is working to encourage city managers representing populations over 100,000 to become more participatory in TCMA
- The meeting with Regional Presidents prior to the TCMA Annual Conference was well received and will continue to meet each year.
- The Professional Development Committee will discuss selection of coaches for the Tex-ICMA Coaching Program.
- Three sponsors have committed for the TCMA reception at ICMA.
- Application for Range Rider Program is August 15.
- TCMA will co-host a water summit with TML in January, 2015. Julie will coordinate planning efforts with Chris Corrigan, Communications and Program Director, TML.
- Karen will work with the Membership Committee to develop a plan for TCMA/ICMA Student Chapters.
Julie Couch, Professional Development Committee Chair, reported that the Committee will meet August 21-22.
Karen Daly, Membership Committee Chair, reported that the Committee will meet August 15.
Dan Johnson, Nominating Committee chair, reported that the Nominating Committee has not met since the last Board meeting.
The Ethics Committee met on July 18. The Committee provided a recommendation to the Professional Development Committee on how the Ethics Committee can assist to better educate TCMA Annual Conference sponsors on tenet 12 and the guideline on endorsements of the TCMA Code of Ethics. The Professional Development Committee will review discuss sponsorships at their next meeting.
Michael Ross, Advocacy Committee chair, reported that the Committee has not met since the last Board meeting.
RECEIVE REPORT ON TML-RELATED ISSUES
Michael provided an update from the June 27 TML Board meeting.
RECEIVE REPORT ON ASSISTANTS-RELATED ACTIVIES
No report was provided.
Bill, David, and Tommy will develop a fund balance policy.
- Bennett Sandlin, Executive Director, TML does not recommend expanding or changing the Connect News Service.
With no other business, the meeting was adjourned at 11:10 a.m.